Thursday 14 April 2016

Apr. 14/16: Last day! (Raglan, fall temperatures, RNZ)

Well, I am just about to go to bed for the last time, this trip. What a wonderful four months it has been.

I spent my last day in Raglan, a seaside community of about 3,000 close to 50 kilometres from Hamilton. The ride out there (by bus, for me) was very scenic. Lots of rolling hills. The town is very popular with surfers. The day was perfect. High of 20 or so and crystal clear skies. I did the usual thing, wandered through the town, and did a few short walks by the water. Here's what the area looks like.

Raglan's Main Street

Walking out of town

Walkway by the harbour

I saw something in Raglan I had not previously seen, but had heard about. Wicked Campers is a company that has come under considerable criticism because of the slogans they put on their vehicles. In fact they have been banned in some places, which of course has only increased their business. The slogan on the back of the van (below) was mild compared to the one on the side. 



 Fall: Well, it's here. Trees are beginning to turn. Still the daytime highs are about 20 and nighttime lows about 10, so nothing to complain about. In February, the highs were 25-28 and lows 15-18, so it does feel noticeably cooler.

Radio NZ National: This is NZ's equivalent to CBC Radio 1. Earlier I'd said it was not bad. I need to correct that. I think it's very good. All interviews, generally very good and usually quite long, and on a wide range of subjects. CBC, given it is now trying to appeal to such a wide range of people, is working against itself, in my opinion.

Well, that is it for this year. Tomorrow, home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment