Sunday 24 January 2016

Jan. 18-24/16: Nelson (to Mapua, Evolve Festival)

The weeks are flying by all too quickly. Found another gardening "job" this week, this time at Hospice  Nelson.  Given I am here for a relatively short time, this sort of thing may make the most sense. But I won't stop looking for other possibilities.

This week had two highlights. The first was a trip to Mapua, to spend a night with my airbnb host Marianne, who has been just wonderful. I made the trip with my new-to-me bike. It's about 30 km. to Mapua, almost all if it on cyclepaths, and flat. Doesn't get much better than that. And much of it is by the coast, with views of the water and hills (which in Nova Scotia would be called mountains). Mapua, I think I mentioned earlier, is a wee seaside holiday  town  close  enough to Nelson  to commute. The tides there are not as high as in the Bay of Fundy, but they are impressive  just the same.

The route to Mapua takes you through Rabbit Island (see the beach below, which is seemingly endless) and then onto a ferry for the very short ride to Mapua. I returned to Nelson the next day. The weather was perfect. Here are a few pictures.

The path to Mapua, looking  back 
towards Nelson
Beach on Rabbit Island enroute to 
Mapua. Not too crowded!!!

Above and below, Mapua harbour


The second highlight was a festival of health  and well-being  on the weekend held at Founder's Park, which is just a 5 minute walk from my accommodation. It was very well done. Lots of exhibitors presenting a range of products and services related to well-being and alternative healthcare, workshops, presentations  and of course food and music. I was not at Woodstock  in 1969, but I had the sense that some of the people at this festival would have been quite at home there. It was really delightful. No alcohol at all that I could see.

This was the main stage area where 
the musicians performed

The intro act. Called the Twisty 
Twins. They were that, and fearless too.
Can you see the young kids? They
were totally captivated.


No comments:

Post a Comment