Saturday 9 January 2016

Jan. 1-9/16: Nelson, some images

I have been in Nelson just  over  a week now and am loving it. It's just the right size for me (just under 50,000) and my accommodation could not be more ideal. I love being on the edge of town, and what an edge!! A jogging/cycling path almost at my front  door, lovely Japanese Gardens across the street - not to mention the Tasman Bay - and a delightful 30 minute walk to the town  centre.

I've spent the week reacquainting  myself with the area, and looking for  volunteer  opportunities and yoga classes. I will start gardening at two different places  this week  and am working on a few other possibilities  as well. And thanks to friends back home who put me in touch with relatives here, I've been taken to the annual jazz festival and to one of the neighbouring  holiday spots.

Once again, I think the best way to describe my life here so far is with a few pictures.

What I see on my morning jog

On the way into town, homes
on one side, these hills on the other.
Truly on the edge of town

Crossing the Maitai River on 
the way into town

In the Queen's Gardens, which I
 pass  on the way into town; 
hope to help  garden there

Here's what the main street in 
downtown  Nelson looks like
(Macpac is like our MEC)

Had to include one picture of 
a delightful old-style bungalow

Taken at Mapua, a holiday  
community about 30 km. away

At the weekly Saturday market

Tahunanui Beach, on the other side of town

My new-to-me mode of transportation;
there are cycle paths everywhere!!



No comments:

Post a Comment