Monday 21 December 2015

Dec. 21/15: Dunedin (Baldwin Street, beaches)

In the past few days the temperature has struggled to get to 20,  but today  it topped 30 and it was clear that’s too hot for  the locals I talked to. This was a one day wonder, however, as it’s returning to normal tomorrow.

This morning I headed off on foot – took just under an hour - to the world’s  steepest street, Baldwin Street. That’s according to the Guinness Book of World Records no less. At its steepest the slope is 19 degrees, which doesn’t sound like a lot, but it  definitely is. Mind you, to me many of  the streets in Dunedin  seem equally as  steep. If it had  not already been close to 30 I might have climbed it, but I headed for the closest cafe instead.




The picture below was taken near Baldwin Street, not so much because I love  churches but because I love the white contrasting with the blue sky and because those houses way up just behind the church show just how steep the slopes are in Dunedin.



I then  bussed it  to the other end of town, as I’d  been told not to miss the salt water pool in St. Clair park. There I found that Dunedin  has beaches, long  ones, with beautiful white sand. This is a varied city! So I had my first opportunity to get sand between my toes, although the heat kept me from walking too far. The wind also was fierce, although this in ways was a blessing.



I walked back to the city centre and home so all in all walked from one end of the city to  the other today, about  10 km.. Not difficult most days but tougher when it is 30 degrees.  I’m done!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment