Saturday 19 December 2015

Dec.18-19/15: Dunedin (botanic gardens, market, settlers museum)

I awoke on my first morning feeling no jet lag at all. Hoping that continues! Decided to head first to the Dunedin  Botanic Gardens, as I’d loved them on my last visit. It was certainly no different this time. The gardens are enormous, and the setting fabulous. It takes about two hours to cover almost everything. They have a huge number of rhododendrons, which unfortunately were all but over. Some of the largest ones I had ever seen. Trees really, not shrubs. There is also a camellia collection, also past prime.


Trunks of some rhododendrons  

Rose garden

On the 19th I returned  to another place I’d loved last year, the Otago Settlers Museum. I’d been most impressed by the recreations of early life, and the pictures/stories of early settlers. Still was. There was a new exhibit this year, Santa, and a line-up of kids waiting to see him. Mostly scared and wanting to  escape. Santa is without question a kiwi, no disguising  that accent!



Saturday mornings there is a farmers market at the train station. I must say, the Wolfville market is much more impressive, even though Wolfville is a fraction the size of Dunedin. Perhaps that is why I found the produce in their supermarkets (big chains here are called New World, and Countdown) far less impressive  than ours, and much more expensive.

Christmas trees at the market

I can see that a day will not go by without a stop at one cafe, at least. As much for the food as the coffee.   Lots of vegetarian options: wonderful quiche  and frittata, always served with a yummy salsa. Hand-held pies are also very popular here, mostly not vegetarian. And the desserts are seriously  tempting. Great carrot cake. How did they know? As last year, these places  sadly close about 4:00 pm.

Otherwise, I walked, and walked. Uphill, and down, and up again. No choice. The area my accommodation is in is clearly pretty upscale. Some lovely homes, and landscaping. And, because it’s on a hill (what isn’t), the views are glorious.


Views near my "home" here

Did I mention how much I like kiwi accents?

No comments:

Post a Comment