Friday 25 March 2016

Mar.24/16: Nelson (WOW)

You might think that WOW is my reaction to to this country, and city, or the acronym for Women of Wolfville or Women on Wheels, but it is none of those. WOW in this case is the World of Wearable Art Museum, which, bizzarly enough, also includes a section on Classic Cars. It is one of the must-sees in this area. A must-see I was not all that interested in seeing, until I went. That will teach me!

Every year since 1987, submissions of wearable art have come from around the world, and the finalists have been included in an annual show. It is an extravaganza, held every spring, first in Nelson, and for some years now, in Wellington. The permanent home of the collection is the museum in Nelson, which opened in 2001.

Here are a few of the wearable art designs that most impressed me.



A challenge to wear!


Yes, this is wearable although
perhaps not on its own!

The classic car section I was going to give a miss. Silly me! It too was most impressive. The collection dates back to the early 1900s, and is one of the largest private collections in Australasia. Here's just a few of the cars in the collection.


An early Chevrolet

Messerschmitt, 3 wheels, late 1950s, early 60s

Cord, mid 1930s


No comments:

Post a Comment